Skip to main content

HEALTH & WELLNESS: Can't sleep? Your body may lack this important nutrient.

  Author: S. Gordon-Jeffery


Last year (2020) I wasn't feeling myself at all. I didn't know what was wrong. All I knew was that I felt tired and listless. Soon I was having difficulty falling asleep or after sleeping and waking up later in the night, going back to sleep again. As I shared in my previous article about my sleeping difficulty, I never really took it seriously, but as you get older conditions build up and situations become more serious.  


Image courtesy of Dreamstime.com

I started noticing in 2019 that I had a slightly irregular heart beat, nothing too serious. I remembered experiencing the problem in 2013 when I caught chicken pox and I took medication for it that didn't 'gree wid mi'. I felt like my heart was bursting out of my chest. I stopped taking the pills the second day that happened. When I fully recovered from the 'pox' the rapid heart rate problem went away and I was my normal self again. I never gave what happened a second thought.

But 2019 was a rough year for me. Mi seh mi have problem a sleep. Mi feel anxious, mi heart a race like one harse pon race track!  I thought it was stress and maybe just maybe, staying up late was the reason. For four (4) years straight I would rise up from 6:00 am and go to bed after 12:00 am every day, including Sundays. I was like, "I got work to do. I gotta get this money!"

It was around year 4 (2019), after having some severe pain brought on by an illness I was battling, that I tried some yoga poses and as I revealed in the article link I shared above, that was a disaster. Things improved a little by the end of the year. 2019 was a particularly hot year so I figured it was the heat that kept me up at night or caused restless sleep -- you know the kind where you sleep but still wake up feeling tired, yes that kind. So you know, I ignored the warning signs and went forward with my life.

In 2020, I started looking up on rapid heart rate, and found words such as arrhythmia and tachycardia. 

Image courtesy of Dreamstime.com

Researching about these terms I learned that sometimes a rapid heart rate can be normal, if it occurs for a short period of time. In this case, a rapid heart rate can be caused by fright - as in a sudden shock, exercise or even a stressful situation. It can also be caused by anxiety. I knew I had several things on my mind, maybe it was stress.  

After much reading I learned that a rapid heart rate could be caused by an infection, the compromised immune system in order to compensate, causes the heart to pump more blood around the body, releasing white blood cells to fight off an infection, e.g the flu [1].

It wasn't until the rapid heart rate became more intense and sometimes it felt like my heart was pounding through my chest and my body shook with the vibrations; it became a regular part of my life, and I had difficulty sleeping through the night or not falling asleep until the wee hours of the morning --this happening more frequently, that I started getting worried. Also, when I started feeling exhausted just from doing little things, I knew there must really be something wrong with me. I realised that this issue was not just going to go away and this time I needed to get help.

Early last year (Covid-19 did barely reach), I visited the doctor and told him about my difficulty sleeping, heart palpitations, etc and he prescribed some special type of iron pills, ones which also contain zinc, vitamin C, etcetera.  He sent me to a nutritionist. I also had to find out my hemoglobin levels via a blood count test. Hemoglobin is a protein your body makes from iron in your red blood cells, that carries oxygen from your lungs to other parts of your body. Suffice it to say my hemoglobin levels were below the recommended levels for women. A woman's hemoglobin level -- should be between 12.0 and 15.5 grams [2]. Below dat a trouble! Above that ...that is another story, but that's not good either.

So what did I learn?

I am iron deficient. I know why. One thing I can do about it is improve my nutritional intake. Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron so I try to include more fruits in my diet, and along with iron supplements I take vitamin C. I also try to reduce my stress level by exercising and thinking more positively. Yes, it has helped much. Next blog post I will tell you the signs you should look out for which could mean you're iron deficient. I listed a few I experienced in this blog: insomnia, rapid heart rate, feeling tired, but there is more. So I will share the full gamut of what I went through, and some of what I still suffer from, in the next article entitled 'Ten (10) signs your body is telling you that you could be iron deficient'.


_____________________

References

      Jamaican dialect in Italics.

  1. Kilaru, Harish. 'How your heart rate can show signs of the Flu'. Cardiogram. Published March 19, 2020. https://blog.cardiogr.am/how-your-heart-rate-can-show-signs-of-the-flu-9b021feb0c98
  2. Frame, Lauren. 'Healthy iron levels for women'. Oneblood. Published September 29, 2020. https://www.oneblood.org/media/blog/iron/healthy-iron-levels-for-women.stml



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 VACCINES: mRNA vaccines could cause face paralysis.

Back in December 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) had issued a warning to health care workers, who administer the giving of both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines to closely monitor the recipients for side effects such as Bell's Palsy. Among the 30,000 trial participants for Moderna, three of the persons who received the vaccine experienced Bell's Palsy. For the Pfizer vaccine, 43,000 persons were in their trial group, four of their participants who received the vaccine suffered from this side effect. 

COVID-19 VACCINES: The vaccines may cause "magnetic reactions": Fact or Conspiracy theory?

Author: S. Gordon-Jeffery It was only recently that I was chatting with a friend and he told me about these strange videos being shared across social media, of persons who took the Pfizer shot now able to attract magnets to their arm  — the arm they got the Pfizer shot in.  Indeed, that was a shock to me and I found it hard to believe. "No sah! Nutt'n cyaa guh suh!"  I said to myself, even as I listened. 

Bank reform: Finance Minister, Dr. Nigel Clarke, hints at new financial regulations.

  Jamaica's Finance Minister, Dr. Nigel Clarke  Dr. Nigel Clarke, Minister of Finance, has hinted in an online forum hosted on Twitter, that there will be new regulations coming that should protect the Jamaican consumers in the financial space. Dr. Clarke said: "The  government of Jamaica will be tabling very shortly sweeping regulatory that provides consumer protection , and I'll probably say more about that later. With respect to fees and banking fees, one of the things that is happening in our society today but we're not, uh... we don't, we're not conscious of it as a society is a shift away from brick and mortar into electronic and digital realm, and what has been happening is that the sector that is at the forefront of that transition is actually the banking sector." Dr. Clarke recently received scathing criticism from PNP Members of Parliament Fitz Jackson  

News: Foreigners competing for Jamaican jobs? Government to give foreigners one year residency to live and work in island.

Speaking last year at the opening ceremony for a new Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) office at the Fairview Plaza in Montego Bay, Minister of National Security Dr. Horace Chang, revealed that a submission will soon be made to Cabinet for the agency to grant a one year temporary residency to eligible foreign nationals. Nearing the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr Chang noted, an increase in travel to the island will be expected.